Monday, November 26, 2012

Where Do Good Stories Start?

Good Stories Start Here. Those were the words spread across a billboard that got my attention the other day. I am always up for a good story, and I long for my story to be one of those good ones. So I was intrigued by that phrase Good Stories Start Here...perhaps if I know the beginning of a good story, where it starts, then I might have a clue as to the how and where it will end. Good stories are not always predictable. What makes them entertaining is the uncertainty of knowing what will happen next. If the main character's actions become too predictable, then the story is boring. If too unpredictable, the story becomes unbelievable. And of course a good story is about the development of the character of its characters. Sort of an action adventure motif of movement towards maturity, at least that's what you would like to see and hear in a good story. Where do good stories start? According to the billboard ad, good stories start in a bottle of liquor, the brand not necessary name. Personally I don't know too many good stories that start with a bottle of liquor. Usually tragic stories begin here. With movies such as The Hangover, a liquor start to a story can be entertaining, but laughing at the misfortune of others isn't necessarily commendable. There is a secret wish throughout the movie that things will turn out well in the end in spite of this comedy of errors. Realistically, we know things usually go from bad to worse with no guarantee of improvement. Where do good stories really start? In the Gospel of Luke a "young man comes up to Jesus and asks, Good Teacher what must I do to inherit eternal life." And Jesus answered, Why do you call me Good, there is none good but God." It seems to me that good stories start with God and the tale God is trying to tell. That story begins well and ends well, but it is not too predictable nor always enjoyable in the middle. Our story connected with God's story, can be disappointing and painful. It can also be fruitful and positive. The one thing it doesn't have to be is boring. Hear any good stories lately?

No comments: