Friday, May 10, 2013

The Power of a Smile

I am big. Six feet one inch isn't that tall. My son is six feet five. Standing next to him makes me feel small. I have to reach up to hug him. Yes I am over two hundred pounds, but that isn't that heavy now a day s either, and yes I have to lose a few pounds. On average I am not that big, but put me in a room with two year olds and I am huge. I am a Goliath to their David. And for some just as intimidating particularly when I am wielding a guitar. Friday mornings I sing to the two year olds at Trinity Treasures, our Trinity's wonderful day care. Some of the twos are used to Pastor Joe invading their space, but not all. The look of terror shows up on their faces and some start crying before I even sing a song. She did not quite cry this morning, but her lips quivered and fear filled her eyes. She backed away slowly as I sat down in the chair putting the guitar across my lap. I am big remember. So I did the only thing I could do, smile. I smiled at her from ear to ear while looking into her eyes. Then it happened. A crease appeared across her lips, her eyes lit up, and her body relaxed. Her world was safe again. This giant sitting in front of her was rendered harmless by a smile.

No comments: